Salvage Repair & Overhaul of a Rolls-Royce Spey High Pressure Turbine Nozzle Guide Vane Segment for the Aerospace Industry
Component Repair Management demonstrated the wide range of repair processes they can call upon to return a part to service. In this example, a customer required the salvage, repair, and overhaul of a Rolls-Royce Spey high pressure turbine nozzle guide vane segment. Common in the aerospace industry, these high pressure turbine vane segments direct the combusted gases into the first stage turbine. Component Repair straightened, welded, and blended the worn and damaged vane segments, in addition to using vacuum diffusion brazing, heat treating, and electro discharge machining to begin the return of the components to service. Secondary processes used on the cast Stellite 31, Rolls-Royce X40 material included grinding, abrasive blasting, and media finishing as cast, plus ultrasonic cleaning. All work on the 2.3" long by 2.0" wide parts was done to Rolls-Royce standards, customer specifications, and demanding tolerances of ±0.002". Cost efficient and effective fluorescent penetrant inspection was used to check for any defects that could compromise the integrity or quality of the rugged and wear-resistant vane segments. Component Repair Management returns to service 24 to 72 of these vane segments per month in only three to four weeks.Speedy, cost effective, and certified salvage of aerospace componentry is just one of many services Component Repair provides. Contact us today to learn more.
Rolls-Royce Spey High Pressure Turbine Nozzle Guide Vane Segment Project Highlights
- Product Description
- First stage high pressure turbine vane segment. Serves to direct the combusted gases into the first stage turbine.
- Project Scope
- Salvage repair and overhaul of Rolls-Royce Spey high pressure turbine nozzle guide vane.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Fluoride Ion Cleaning
Vacuum Diffusion Brazing
Electro Discharge Machining
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Length: 2.3"
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 0.002"
- Material Used
- Cast Stellite 31, Rolls-Royce X40 Material
- Material Thickness: 0.42"
- Material Finish
- As Cast, Media Finished
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection
- Industry for Use
- 24 – 72 per Month
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 3 – 4 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Customer Dock
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, Rolls-Royce Standards
- Product Name
- Rolls-Royce Spey First Stage High Pressure Turbine Nozzle Guide Vane Segment